Thursday, February 17, 2005

Sugartime!

I'm happy to report that Austin's PBS station KLRU has decided to air the "Sugartime!" episode of Postcards from Buster made famous by our oxymoronic Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings. It will air on Monday, March 28 at 8 p.m.

Although I've never seen this popular children's show, my understanding about the episode in question is that Buster goes to Vermont to learn how maple sugar is made from some kids who happen to have two moms. The moms say hello, welcome Buster into their home and that's about it. Perhaps that's what Spellings is so upset about - the idea that families headed by two lesbians might not really be that different after all.

"Many parents would not want their young children exposed to the lifestyles portrayed in that episode," Spellings said in a nasty letter to PBS president Pat Mitchell. Her concern about young children not being exposed to lifestyles or ideas their parents disagree with seems reasonable enough. That's why I keep my little moppets safely padlocked away in the snowy ether of my fantasies, never to be exposed to any reality that might compromise my perfect vision of them. It's the only foolproof way of making sure my kids turn out okay, and it saves money on diapers, too.

While it's sad the controversy made KLRU decide they needed to run this episode in prime time, the sweet irony is that everyone is going to watch "Sugartime!" now. Can you say "teachable moment?" I know a lot of us will sit down with impressionable young children and point out the two mommies just to let the kids know that some families are like that and it's okay. Then we'll have some milk and cookies and go to bed with love in our hearts.

No comments: