Saturday, February 05, 2005

Glorium's Fantasmas

Here's a link to my review of Glorium's Fantasmas in this week's Chron. I don't remember the last time I gave a local release four stars, but Glorium's "lost" album deserves it. The songs they recorded in 1996 with John Croslin are especially good. I hear a lot of parallels between what Glorium was doing then and what the NYC "it" bands are doing now.

In addition to pushing boundaries with their music, they were really good guys who did a lot to support other bands as well as the underground music scene itself. Individually and/or collectively, Glorium helped new bands get booked, put out a fanzine and released a bunch of tapes on their Golden Hour imprint during the waning days of the cassette. Their all-for-one attitude was rare and right-on. I have nothing but respect for Glorium.

By the way, they printed only 200 copies of Fantasmas, so good luck tracking it down.

No comments: