Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Elephant's Graveyard

I was a total lame ass on Halloween night. I thought about going out, but I had writing to do. As it was, I didn't even get much writing done because the time change and cold front left me feeling lethargic.

At least I cut up a pumpkin and handed out most of my candy to trick-or-treaters. If they ever quit showing up, I'll eat all those Reese's, Kit-Kats and Tootsie Rolls myself.

Instead of writing, I watched Gus Van Sant's Elephant, a ham-fisted, sub-moronic piece of art school thwackery masquerading as oh-so-transgressive and esoteric social commentary about school shootings.

I'll gladly watch a musical comedy about Columbine if it's funny and Paul Williams writes the score, but Elephant is nothing more than a 90-minute wank celebrating technique without soul.

After this, I think I'm done with Van Sant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched that this weekend off the Tivo. Once I got the point with the long, drawn out walking shots I had to fast forward through the rest of them. I'm still trying to figure out why he made that movie.