Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My Lucky Day

Today is Kate’s birthday. She was born on May 30, 1978.

Sometimes I like to think about what I was doing that day. I was nine years old and just about to finish third grade in Houston.

Between multiplication and division, third grade was the first time school made me feel stupid. The loss of self-confidence associated with not being able to keep up in math was a powerful (de)motivating force.

Feeling somewhat lost and differentiated in a less-than-desirable way, I often stared out the window and daydreamed about a place far better than West University Elementary School. I also spent a fair amount of the school day drawing maps of imaginary cities or KISS-style stage sets for my fantasy rock band. Whatever I was doing as third grade came to a close on May 30, I probably wasn’t paying attention to Mrs. Goodeau.

There’s no way my doodling, daydreaming nine-year-old self could have possibly known it, but May 30, 1978 was my lucky day.

2 comments:

jennifer said...

I attended West U. Elementary for third grade in 1978, too! Not sure who my teacher was, though. I know I had Mrs. White for 2nd grade..

Anonymous said...

Okay, clearly is IS love!