Friday, May 04, 2007

We Love God. How 'Bout Yew?

The Texas House voted 124-5 to add the words "under God" to the Texas pledge of allegiance early this morning. Not surprisingly, three of the five "no" votes came from Austin.

Public schoolchildren in Texas are now compelled to pledge allegiance to both the U.S. and Texas flags every morning. When I'm home from work, I can hear the principal at the school across the street leading the students through both pledges over the loudspeaker. It sounds both silly and vaguely fascist to my ears.

I'm a native Texan and I love my home state. However, if anyone tries to make me recite a pledge to the Texas flag with the words "under God" shoehorned into it by a bunch of used car salesmen for Jesus, I will turn my glaringly white hiney to the flag and walk out of the room.

No comments: