Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Can the Swiss Spray Away Shyness?

Researchers at the University of Zurich have created a nasal spray designed to reduce shyness. The spray contains a synthetic version of the neurotransmitter oxytocin, the natural version of which is produced by the body when one is in love.

In a study of 70 adults presented at the World Congress of Neuroscience in Melbourne, the Swiss scientists noted dramatic reductions in anxiety and improved levels of group interaction among those taking the spray. Large-scale clinical trials are now being planned.

As someone who has dealt with anxiety all my life, I’d gladly snort something that would make me less anxious and more at ease with myself in social settings. Especially if it costs less than cocaine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya, brother. I'd buy a bottle.