Thursday, April 05, 2007

Shower of Shit

Almost five months after my shower first started leaking, I climbed in my $2,500 rebuilt shower for the first time this morning and it started leaking right where the old one leaked.

I lost my shit upon discovering the water pooling on the bathroom floor. I pounded my fists on the chest of drawers and bellowed out a fusillade of fuck-laden invective. I’m not proud of my inability to manage anger in such situations, but my current state of sleep and confidence deprivation was bound to allow an outburst to slip through sooner or later.

The contractor is coming by this afternoon to look at it and try to figure out what’s going on. Apparently it worked fine when they were testing it. If he can’t figure it out, I suppose I’ll have to find someone who can, which is a daunting prospect on many levels. Who knows when the goddamn thing will be fixed?

Of course my anger over this goes way beyond the rather mundane pain in the ass of not having a working second bathroom I don’t really need. Getting the shower fixed was one tiny aspect of my anxiety flare-up that was about to be resolved. Now it’s not and that’s what pisses me off more than anything.

UPDATE: My contractor came by and he thinks the problem was a missing layer of caulk between the shower pan and the threshold. I hope he's right, but I'll have to wait for the caulk to dry to know.

No comments: