Monday, September 11, 2006

Tacky Souvenirs of Post-9/11 America

Who goes to Ground Zero and buys a gimme cap to remember it by?

The first tacky 9/11 souvenir I ever came across was at the State Fair in Dallas a little more than a month after the attacks. It was a bumper sticker that read, "Now It's Our Turn" with an illustration of a jet fighter flying and an American flag.

Although irony was still dead at the time, I couldn't help but laugh at the sticker's (hopefully unintentional) implication that it was now our turn to murder thousands of innocent people with airplanes. I purchased the sticker from a man of Middle Eastern descent who excitedly informed me that we'd started bombing Taliban targets in Afghanistan. I wondered if he wasn't acting extra-excited for my benefit so I wouldn't think he was an evildoer.

Photo by Holly Northrup/Village Voice

No comments: