Saturday, August 19, 2006

Hey, This Isn't Chicken

The posts are few and far between these days because I'm hard at work on a feature story about Scratch Acid in advance of their reunion show at Emo's on September 2nd. Those guys have some pretty amazing stories about what it was like to play punk rock in Austin during the Eighties.

From what I can gather, there was a lot more LSD going around back then. You still saw a bunch of big eyeballs at shows and parties when I first moved here in 1987, but I wouldn't know where to find acid today, and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did. I'm too anxious to fun around with heavy-duty psychedelic drugs.

I like to think I'm relatively balanced, but even on a good day, I can't be more than one or two tiny chemical reactions away from becoming the girl who ate her parakeet.

7 comments:

Found in the Alley said...

Can't wait to read your article. I just bought tickets for Scratch Acid at the Touch and Go Anniversary show the following weekend.

Anonymous said...

That Chicago T&G anniversary show is going to be amazing. If not for ACL Fest the following weekend, I'd try to make it up there.

jennifer said...

I have a very vivid yet hazy memory of seeing Scratch Acid in approximately 110 degree heat in 1984 at Sparky's, which seemed to be a carpet store of some kind and which in my mind's eye was in the middle of a field...David Yow was wearing a Hitler mustache, and possibly a whole Hitle uniform. I'm pretty sure I was the only one there besides my mom who wasn't on acid.

Anonymous said...

Some friends from Dallas and Houston will be coming up for the T & G Show....should be fun.

RKM

Kat said...

Sparky's was upstairs in an industrial building -- it's now Austin Energy on Justin Lane, just west of Lamar (on the north side, where you can buy $5 electrial spools to make redneck picnic tables...)

Anonymous said...

I used to live right down the street from there...20 years after the fact, unfortunately.

Kat said...

...and Austin WAS an incredibly acid-laced town. Not just the psych-punk scene, either. I dunno why one would want to be tripping to go see the Reivers, but there you go.
Many fond lysergic memories: but I'll never completely forgive Steve Wynn after hearing Dream Syndicate play "Ghostbusters" at Liberty Lunch in 1984. Way to wreck a young girl's trip, dude...