Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Blood and Ice Cream

Good lord, I sure have been crazy for ice cream lately. Perhaps that's because it's been coming into my possession for absolutely nothing in recent weeks.

First there was H-E-B's come hither coupon for a free half-gallon of Creamy Creations. They sent these out in neighborhoods once served by Albertson's to attract displaced customers and I wound up with two since I was in between homes. I snagged half a gallon of Homemade Vanilla and what may have been the last half gallon of Poteet Strawberry for sale in the Austin area.

Then I went to the Blood & Tissue Center of Central Texas this afternoon to donate my regular pint of A-positive. I usually give on the blood bus at work, but my hematocrit count was low last week so I had to try again after bulking up on iron-laden favorites like red meat, fortified bread and raisins.

It just so happens August 7-19 is the Center's "Pint for a Pint" promotion. This means you get a pint of Blue Bell for donating blood. Not that I needed a pint of ice cream to donate blood, but it sure was nice walking into the 101-degree heat with a free pint of Peaches & Homemade Vanilla.

If you're eligible, consider giving blood. You can use the ice cream, and someone can probably use your blood, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's so sickening about replacing a pint of icky blood with delicious ice cream?!?

Seriously, I understand your point. I guess I've gotten used to donating blood so it doesn't make me as squeamish as it used to (looking away helps, too).

All that said, I did get to choose my flavor.