Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Happy Confederate Heroes Day

People from non-Southern states are always shocked when I tell them Confederate Heroes Day is an official state holiday in Texas. Personally, I'm of mixed minds about it. We already have Memorial Day and Veteran's Day to honor soldiers, which means Confederate Heroes Day is primarily a celebration of the Confederacy offered as a sop to those dead-ending apologists who still insist on saying the "War of Northern Aggression" was a glorious fight for state's rights that had little to do with slavery. On the other hand, it's a day off, so I'm not complaining too loudly. I'll be happy to observe John Wayne Gacy Day if it means I don't have to work.

If Texans would rather celebrate something more savory, January 19th also happens to be Janis Joplin's birthday. She would've been 62 today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord, Janis was a rebel with a righteous cause. Go for it!


-Kevin
The American Street