Thursday, July 10, 2008

Jilted John

This here's one of my all-time pop-punk favorites: "Jilted John" by Jilted John, seen here in a 1978 clip from Top of the Pops. Produced by Martin Hannett and championed by the late John Peel, the song made it to #4 on the British charts.



Sadly, I didn't discover this tune until well into my twenties because I really needed something this novel, biting and pathetic in my teens. On the brighter side, Jilted John creator Graham Fellows built on his one-hit wonderdom with a more lasting musical alter ego named John Shuttleworth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of this song before, but it's been haunting me since I watched the video here last Friday. Also, it eerily predicts things going on in British politics right now, in that the host of the show looks like the new asshole bleach-blonde tory mayor of London (also a former TV personality), and the Labour PM Gordon Brown is really unpopular. Wikipedia told me in the wake of "Jilted John's" one-hit success there was a proliferation of "Gordon is/isn't a moron" buttons (or badges as they call them there.) --Mike Corwin