Friday, August 10, 2007

A Hunka Hunka Burnin' Leave

The State of Texas, in its infinite wisdom, has decreed that its loyal and faithful servants may only carry forward a certain amount of annual leave each year.

Although the number of hours increases with longevity, if you don't take leave often enough, you'll wind up having your excess annual leave convert to sick leave at the end of the state's fiscal year (August 31). This is like flushing money down the bog because you can't cash out sick leave if you quit the state.

It just so happens I entered this month with over 50 hours of excess annual leave, so now I'm trying to burn it off by staying home on Fridays. Unfortunately, this burn-off coincides with what is turning out to be a rather busy month at work. I still have to maintain radio contact with the office and even if I didn't, my current wave of writing assignments is making off-days just as busy as workdays.

I know I'm lucky to have decent leave benefits (at least for this stingy country), but I sure hate being forced to use or lose time. I suppose I could've planned a nice vacation, but it wouldn't have been much fun without Kate along. I feel like I'm squandering time I'll look back and wish I had in a few years.

On the plus side, at least I don't have to get dressed or shower in the morning unless I choose to do so for my own edification. And what's a little ripeness between me, myself and I?

No comments: