Friday, February 15, 2008

Sweet Emotions

Valentine's Day turned out to be one of the best ever. Kate made a fine meal of shrimp and heart-shaped crab cakes and I bought some chocolate-covered strawberries from Amy's Ice Creams for dessert. Then we watched an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm from the new season six DVD Kate gave me. It was a fine reward for resisting the temptation to subscribe to HBO.

Kate used to sing along to Aerosmith as a kid, so I bought her a best-of from Steve Tyler and the aging man-boys along with a red nightshirt set and one of those plastic toy microphones that makes an echo-laden, metallic sound when you sing into it. My thematic concept was "slumber party in a gift bag."

Unfortunately, Kate had already purchased the red nightshirt set I'd gotten her. In fact, I was with her when she bought it, but my male mind had no recollection of this until she came to bed wearing said sleepwear the night before Valentine's Day.

Despite the panic that swelled up inside me at this realization, I managed to purchase a new hot pink nightshirt set during yesterday's lunch hour. I really had to stretch the meaning of "hour" to do it, though.

No comments: