Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The World's Saddest Cubicle?

Wired has posted a photo gallery of the winning entries in its saddest cubicles contest.

Not surprisingly, the “winner” is in the employ of a public institution. Pictured is the workspace of David Gunnells, an IT guy at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Although his cube is smaller and more despressingly-lit than my own, I too use filing cabinets to surround my government job box. I like it that way. The fewer people who can see what I’m doing (or not doing), the happier I am.

What really sets the winning cube apart is its proximity to both a microwave oven and a toilet. Thankfully, I’m far enough away from both to avoid the stench of buttered popcorn commingled with morning coffee shit.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Catfish and air freshener (and poop)? Surely that constitutes a hostile work environment...

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I am next to men’s room, which see heavy traffic. Not only is it not ventilated it also was put together with paper-thin walls. I am so accustom to the sounds that I can tell you without seeing them go in which person is in there-by-there exploding farts. Each one has a distinct tone and road kill smell. We tried to provide them with nice air fresheners, but to no avail they are immune to them. Last Christmas my secret Santa gave me a candle; I light it every time I see them enter the bathroom. I would give anything only to have to smell day old fish than what comes out of these guys ass.

Anonymous said...

You should take a cue from the Magic Time Machine (and probably other bad theme restaurants from the 70s) by making loud, embarrassing announcements whenever these men enter and leave the restroom.