Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Dillard's abandoning Highland Mall

No one who has been to Highland Mall recently will be surprised to learn that Dillard’s is closing its store there. Coupled with J.C. Penney’s exit in 2006, this leaves Macy’s as Highland Mall’s sole anchor tenant.

Despite its close proximity to where I live and work, I cannot recall the last time I shopped at that Dillard’s. I think it was about the time “Who Let the Dogs Out?” began infesting our nation’s sports arenas.

Driving by the new MetroRail station across Airport Blvd. from Highland Mall yesterday, I noticed the signage read “Highland,” not “Highland Mall.” Whatever else Capital Metro might screw up with the commuter rail launch, at least we won’t have to pay to have “Mall” scraped off those signs when they implode that dying shell of retail.

No comments: