Friday, December 05, 2008

Paul Benedict R.I.P.

Eminently likeable character actor Paul Benedict, best known as Harry Bentley on The Jeffersons, has died at age 70. I especially enjoyed him as the beleaguered hotel attendant in This is Spinal Tap and the elusive namesake “theater critic” in Waiting for Guffman.

Unbeknownst to me until I read this morning’s L.A. Times obit, Benedict wasn’t British - he was born in Silver City, N.M. and grew up in Boston. I also didn’t remember he played the “mad number painter” during the early days of Sesame Street. Here’s a clip of Benedict using condiments to paint 3s on bread that is voraciously wolfed down by a young, hot Stockard Channing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG I remember watching that episode when it originally aired! Of course at that time I had no idea who either of them were. :) Thanks for bringing back some childhood memories!

Sometimes I wish I hadn't read your blog, because it makes me very, very homesick for Austin. Dallas is just NOT the same, even if there is a Chuy's up here.