Sunday, November 05, 2006

Chicken Fried Birthday

In honor of having slipped softly off the coil of my mid-30s today, Kate and I met my folks in Round Top for lunch. I'd been having a hankering for good fried chicken and it just so happened that Royer's Round Top Cafe was having a Sunday chicken dinner special.

We each got four pieces of chicken, mashed potatoes and creamed corn. The corn would've been replaced by green beans if I ran the show, but the buttermilk and garlic-battered chicken was both crispy and succulent in all the right places. Then we had apple pie a la mode for dessert. You can't have a much more American birthday than that.

I don't eat fried chicken all that often because it's not healthy and I'm almost always disappointed by it. Popeye's is okay for a chain store, but I've yet to find a really good down-home fried chicken dinner anywhere near Austin. Does anyone out there know if such a place exists outside of my extra-crispy dreams?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Greg!

Earl Abel's had good fried chicken, but I don't know how it is at the new location. Also, I prefer Church's to Popeye's for chain fried chicken. That's the way I roll.

Terri R.

Judge Nickels said...

Gene's at 11th and Rosewood has the best fried chicken in town, IMHO.

Anonymous said...

Top Notch on Burnet used to have really good fried chicken. I haven't had it in awhile, but it used to be fabulous. Plus, it's in your neck of the woods.

Greg said...

I've had Gene's po-boys, but I'll have to try the chicken next time I'm over there.