Tuesday, January 23, 2007

North Austin Buffet Palace Burns

It is a sad day for the Austin buffet scene. A fire heavily damaged the Anderson Lane location of Buffet Palace early this morning around 12:30 a.m. I could hear the fire engines responding from my home, but I had no idea that one of the key establishments in the figurative buffet explosion of the mid-Nineties was literally going up in flames.

I used to eat at that Buffet Palace all the time. I even went there once or twice when it was the short-lived August Moon Chinese Buffet. When Buffet Palace opened, it was home to the only floating sushi bar in Texas. Diners there had the unique opportunity to retrieve their sushi orders from little boats that floated in a circular moat around the sushi bar.

The floating sushi bar was taken out years ago, and frankly, Buffet Palace’s presentation had become a bit too dog-eared in recent years. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed going there alone once every few months to stuff my face with abandon. I guess I’ll just have to start going to the sleek Westgate location to get my fix.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I visited the Round Rock location recently and wasn't impressed. It was typical buffet - the food was lukewarm at best and had obviously been sitting out for quite a while. If I can catch 'em just as they put out fresh dishes, maybe it'll make a difference.

That said, having one of your locations burn down sucks mightily. Hopefully they'll rebuild soon.

Michael