Thursday, September 14, 2006

So Long, Ann

Former Texas governor Ann Richards died last night of esophageal cancer at age 73. She was the last Democrat elected governor of this state and will likely remain that way for awhile.

Imagine what a different planet we'd be living on today if she'd been re-elected in 1994. Actually, I'm sad enough without imagining that.

It wasn't uncommon to see Richards out and about in Austin. I once sat behind her at a matinee screening of Boogie Nights at the then-brand new Gateway Cinema. She got up and left when the drug scenes started, though I couldn't tell if that's what prompted her hasty departure. More recently, I saw her hanging out with Jerry Hall at Rachel Fuller's SXSW showcase in 2005.

Most everyone who has lived here for any length of time has similar stories. I thought it was kind of cool that you could be doing your thing and happen to bump into the former governor. The lady really got around town.

I can't speak for the rest of Texas, but there's a palpable sense of loss in Austin this morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She attended Austin City Limits tapings fairly regularly as well.

I can't believe she's gone. I thought she'd live forever. I'll miss her.

Michael