Thursday, June 23, 2005

Primary Voters Can't Get Kinky

Kat's question about how to get Kinky Friedman on the 2006 ballot for governor reveals a heinously anti-democratic catch-22 in Texas' election code. Kinky needs 45,000 signatures to get on the November 2006 ballot. He will have up to two months to collect these signatures following the March 2006 Republican and Democratic primaries. However, none of those signatures can be from people who vote in the primaries.

In other words, you can sign the petition for Kinky or you can vote in a party primary, but you can't do both.

So what do you do if you want to break the two-party stranglehold and send Perry packing? Perhaps informal swapping of Kinky signatures for Strayhorn primary votes is the answer. If this is illegal, it's a law I'd be proud to thumb my nose at.

If you would like to "save yourself" to sign Kinky's ballot petition by not voting in the primaries, the Friedman campaign has a abstinence-style purity pledge you can sign.

1 comment:

Kat said...

True Love Waits for Kinky, you know.
I am certainly NOT a Rick Perry fan -- since Luke works for the Lege, my little family is currently held hostage by his bogus-special-session-calling ass. But I'm troubled by the idea of voting for Strayhorn in order to defeat him. I'm not sure that I wouldn't rather have a weak figurehead Republican (RP) in office than a potentially strong one (CS). I'm recalling my mother's stories of how late Senator John Tower got into office -- voted in when Texas was still Democratic, in part by party-switching Dems who hated the other guy...
If Kinky does get on the ballot, who wants to wager that he wins Travis County?